As you go about your muscle-building workout program, you may find that your motivation tends to come and go. Some days you’re very motivated and are excited to hit the gym for each session while other days the gym is the last thing that you have in mind.
While everyone does get their off days here and there, if these days are coming around extremely frequently and you’re finding that you skip more sessions than you actually show up to do, something needs to be done about this stat, or you can kiss your progress goodbye.
Maintaining a regular workout schedule is a must for success, and only those who are motivated will stick to it. Let’s look at the different things that you can do to better sustain motivation.
- Get a workout buddy. For those who prefer to mix social time with gym time, having a workout buddy is a great way to stay motivated.
- Keep a progress journal. Write down how much you’re lifting as well as how many sets, reps, etc., you do so that you can best track your progress.
- Add new exercises often. This is a great way to keep your interest level up and also prevent a plateau in progress.
- Try more advanced workout techniques. Use super sets, drop sets, pyramid sets, and so on to fully challenge the body with each workout that you do.
- Enlist in a personal trainer. Having them by your side can be a great motivational tool.
- Don’t overtrain. If you’re in the gym six days a week, you will lose steam after so long. Be sure to focus on keeping good life-fitness balance.
- Plan your workouts for the same time each day. The more routine the workouts are, the less motivation you’ll need to stick with them.
- Get new workout music. Music is a very powerful motivator for a wide number of people.
- Take progress pictures. Seeing how far you’ve come over time is a great way to boost your motivation levels. Do this once every two weeks.
- Set daily goals. Having a goal that you want to accomplish that day in the gym gives you a new purpose for actually doing the workout and can help to enhance your success.
- Read up on new workout techniques. This will keep you mentally focused on fitness and more motivated.
The Bottom Line:
Whenever you feel like your motivation is starting to take a hit, use these tips to stay the course. Or better yet, use them before that day comes so that you never hit a lull at all.
Using regular strategies as a preventive protocol to sustain better motivation at all times is one of the best ways to guarantee that you go on to see the success that you’re after. Remember to stay on top of it and figure out what works best for you. What motivates one person may not motivate another so learn what works best for you to support your own success.