- An economic justice group was formed to study the work of Thomas Piketty and was inspired by, and response to, the Unitarian Universalist Association CSAI (Congregational Study/Action Issue) on Escalating Inequality
- The purpose was to study, discuss, and act on issues impacting inequality.
- The group participated in the local Fight for 15 or the Farmworkers Bill of Rights.
Participants of this group had the opportunity to learn about escalating inequality, share ideas, and take actions of advocacy which included visiting local lawmakers, emailing campaigns, GOTV efforts and working in tandem with local activists.
Economic justice discussion groups are not currently active. We are hoping a new group will form and we encourage Chalice members to get involved. This community needs our active advocacy for fairer wages, and relief from hunger and homelessness.
Feeding Hands group:
- provides free dinner on the first Tuesday of each month to those in our community who are part of the free meal program sponsored by Lutheran Social Services
- members of the Conejo Valley Unitarian Universalist Fellowship cook & serve the dinner
Dinners are both prepared at Fellowship Hall and in members’ home kitchens. Dinners are served at Calvary Church, Westlake Village, CA.
Lisa Bortman, member of the Conejo Valley Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, oversees the organization of the dinners.