RE at Chalice Blog
- RE @ Chalice Blog 9/16/21
RE at Chalice!
A place for wonder. A place for fun.
Welcome, welcome everyone!
Chalice Family Update
September 16, 2021
The theme for this month is… Embracing Possibility
Saying Yes to Life! (in spite of everything)
Sunday Morning Service at 10am
with Rev. Nica Eaton-Guinn
Life can feel incredibly tough at times, especially these days. How do we continue to find the good in life, when there is so much suffering? Today we explore the coping mechanisms an extraordinary man, Viktor Frankl, found. Despite staring death in the face in a Nazi concentration camp and dealing with many other hardships, Frankl was still able to say yes to life. We also welcome new members into our Chalice community and say goodbye to our Board President, Jason Hall and family. Don’t miss this important service online!
Zoom ID: 209 555 249 Passcode: 2020
Sunday mornings 9-9:30am
Check In opportunities with your friends in RE!
Enjoy music, stories, and checking in with friends. Ideal for younger children through third grade but all are welcome!
Have ideas on what you want to see in RE?
Email your DRE Sam Dickerson firstname.lastname@example.org
Come out to visit us at Sycamore Canyon!
When: Thursday September 23rd through Sunday September 26th
If you would like to just pop out for the day, the cost is only $12 per car. No reservation needed! Join us when the mood suits you!
Where: Sycamore Canyon Campground, sites 18, 19, and 20 (park in Day Use lot)
Activities included are: Hikes, Rock Painting, Scavenger Hunt, Visits to the Beach, Games, Sing Alongs and a small Worship Service on Sunday morning and more!
If you are interested in leading one of these activities, please let us know.
Bring your camping chairs, hiking boots, swimsuits, and whatever else you need to enjoy the day.
The entire weekend for breakfast and dinner will be potluck style, so bring food to share and your own plates and utensils. For lunch, everyone will pretty much do their own thing. Dana will be making pancakes for everyone on Saturday morning. Bacon and marshmallows are always popular, but not necessarily together!
Chalice Campout is now waitlisted!!!
Cost: $40 per adult for the whole weekend! (no cost for children)
Campers may start arriving on Thursday at 2pm and checkout will be at noon on Sunday
Please bring at least two bundles of firewood per group so that we can have plenty of campfire fun.
To be added to the waitlist or if you have any questions, please email Dana at email@example.com.
Our Parent Gathering will be taking a break over the summer and will reconvene in the Fall. Watch this space for future dates!
Also at Camp de Benneville Pines…
Registration for Young Adult Camp 2021 is now live!
As a reminder, registering early is EXTRA important this year. Because of COVID, there will be a cap on the number of campers to ensure cabins are as safe as possible. One cabin will be reserved as a quarantine space should anyone show symptoms. As it currently stands, there will be no sharing rooms unless your registration form stipulates that A) you have other campers in your household / COVID pod whom you’re willing to room w. up at camp, or B) you assess your risk tolerance as high enough that rooming with a specific camper is safe and comfortable. Please include this information in the housing section on the registration form.
We’ll be taking registrations on a “first come-first served” basis. After our cap is met (it’s a bit of a moving target until we know housing preferences, so bear with us), additional names will be placed on a waiting list. What an excellent reason to register now!
YA Camper Profile: bit.ly/YAcamp2021
Scholarship Application: bit.ly/YAscholarships2021
Saturday, October 16
We are giving participants the choice of attending the meeting in person or virtually!
Please let us know which you prefer.
We will send you the Zoom link when you RSVP for the virtual meeting.
Unfortunately, we cannot offer childcare at this time.
We also require masks to be worn if you choose to join us in person.
To RSVP or for more information: OWL@chaliceuu.org
Classes start early 2022.
A lot of changes are coming to the Religious Education programming at Chalice. Do you have questions? Are you a bit confused, or in need of some clarifications? Sam is here for you! Contact your Director of Religious Education at firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions or to set up a meeting. Sam will be more than happy to explain all that is happening by email, phone, or Zoom. This is your program too! You have the right to be in the know!
Family Community Forum*
Chumash Indian Museum
Learn about the History and Culture of the Original People of this Land
Saturday, October 23rd – 9:00 a.m. or Saturday, November 6th – 9:00 a.m.
(select one when registering)
Join us for this fun, informative, and interactive community forum event for all ages
at the Chumash Indian Museum, featuring:
• Guided tour of the museum exhibits, including the replica tomol boat
• Short hike to explore the replica Chumash village
• Make your own abalone shell necklace
This specially curated event is geared for all ages – *families and individuals welcome!
Space is limited!
Please register in advance here: https://bit.ly/ChaliceatChumashMuseum
In a continued celebration of National Hispanic Heritage Month, we want to share with you the many offerings from NPR. Music, podcasts, and stories all featuring people from the Hispanic community. Find inspiration, understanding, and joy in the many offerings.
Time for a little pirate shenanigans, me hearties!
What started as an inside joke between two friends in 1995, and later given international fame thanks to the columnist Dave Berry, Talk Like a Pirate Day is just what it sounds like. A day to talk, act, and dress just like a pirate. If you’re in need of a good laugh and a whole lot of silliness, strap on an eyepatch and lift a mug of grog (or root beer) to cheer your shipmates. Arrrgh!!!
Our mission: Religious Education empowers children and youth and supports families with tools to create a world of justice and compassion.
- RE @ Chalice Blog January 7, 2021RE at Chalice! A place for wonder. A place for fun. Welcome, welcome everyone! Chalice Weekly Family Update January 7, 2021 January’s theme is… Imagination Sunday Morning Service at 10am Set Your Imagination Free with Rev. Nica Eaton-Guinn As we dive into our theme of imagination this month, we explore what can happen when we allow our imagination to guide our lives. Can ...
- RE @ Chalice Blog December 31, 2020RE at Chalice! A place for wonder. A place for fun. Welcome, welcome everyone! Chalice Weekly Family Update December 31, 2020 December’s theme has been… Stillness January’s theme will be… Imagination Sunday Morning Service at 10am This I Believe with special guest Ayanna Gaines and Friends This I Believe is based on a popular radio program from the 1950s. We take time to listen ...
- RE @ Chalice Blog Update December 17, 2020RE at Chalice! A place for wonder. A place for fun. Welcome, welcome everyone! Chalice Weekly Family Update December 17, 2020 December’s theme is… Stillness Sunday Morning Service at 10am Winter Solstice with special guest Christine Blasman Winter Solstice is a celebration of the longest night, a time where embracing our darkness is a springboard to personal growth and change. Come celebrate the ...
- Family Update for December 10 2020RE at Chalice! A place for wonder. A place for fun. Welcome, welcome everyone! Chalice Weekly Family Update December 10, 2020 December’s theme is Stillness Sunday Morning Service at 10am Stillness Speaks with Rev. Nica Eaton-Guinn As the darkness of this time of year closes in, and we remain sheltered in our homes, we visit the wisdom of stillness. Normally this time of ...