RE at Chalice Blog
- RE @ Chalice Blog 12/2/21
RE at Chalice!
A place for wonder. A place for fun.
Welcome, welcome everyone!
Chalice Family Update
December 2, 2021
The theme for this month is… Opening to Joy
The Joy of the Season
Sunday Morning Service at 10am
with Rev. Nica Eaton-Guinn and Sam Dickerson
This will be a hybrid service, held both on-line via Zoom and with limited in-person attendance by RSVP only.
Today we begin our celebration of the holiday season by honoring joy as celebrated in the UU tradition of Chalica, the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah, the Christian Christmas, African American Kwanzaa and the Pagan Winter Solstice. Join us for a Sunday of festivity and tradition, opening us to the joy of the season.
Families! Please tune for this special service!
Zoom ID: 209 555 249 Passcode: 2020
Gratitude in Action Toy Drive
Now through December 14
Our event supports The Westminster Free Clinic and Community Care Center, a non-profit health care center. They provide medical, dental, mental health, preventative health, teen internships, exercise and nutrition guidance for over 1,000 low-income families in the community. More about them here: Westminsterclinic.org
Westminster will host the toy distribution on December 15. They expect participation from up to 700 families. Let’s get some TOYS over to them!
· We will collect your donations now through December 14.
All toys should be UNWRAPPED, but new.
· Missed the Nov 21 collection? You can arrange to drop off toys at Chalice during office hours through the week and on Sundays, or contact one of the organizers below.
Please contact Jill Lewis at email@example.com
or Pamela Lopez at firstname.lastname@example.org
Sunday mornings 9-9:30am
Check In opportunities with your friends in RE!
Enjoy music, stories, and checking in with friends. Ideal for younger children through third grade but all are welcome!
Have ideas about what you want to see in RE?
Email your DRE Sam Dickerson email@example.com
Holiday Decorating Party
December 4, 3-5pm
We will gather together to decorate our Sanctuary and Fellowship Hall for the holiday season. Help make our Chalice home festive by decking our halls, hanging lights, and putting up our trees. The more hands, the merrier!
Refreshments will not be provided but feel free to bring your own as needed.
This is an all ages event!
*Hosted by the Coming of Age Program*
This month with Crossing Paths…
What is Crossing Paths? Crossing Paths is an interfaith exploration program brought to us from Soul Matters. The program includes an emphasis on theological grounding, a distinct take on religious pluralism (“Many Mountains, Many Paths”) and an abundance of experiential learning while also maintaining a focus on UU youth identity formation. Each month a new religion is explored, including Buddhism, Catholicism, Quakerism, Paganism, and more.
December we will explore…
This program is geared toward our Middle School-aged youth (6th through 8th grade). Each Sunday we will share in discussions, activities, videos, music, and games while we practice our Unitarian Universalist Principles of “acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations” and “a free and responsible search for truth and meaning.”
When: Sundays, beginning 12/5 and concluding 12/19
Where: Fellowship Hall at Chalice (Yes, in person!)
**Masks must be worn by all who attend.
Please RSVP here: https://bit.ly/ChaliceCP. Youth need only show up with open minds and hearts. Attendance throughout the month is strongly recommended. Families need not be members for youth to attend. Friends welcome!
Questions? Contact your Director of Religious Education, Sam Dickerson, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chalice Hangouts for Middle School and YRUU
Middle School – First Fridays
YRUU – Third Fridays
Both evenings 6-8pm
Fellowship Hall @ Chalice
Our next Hangouts–
Middle School – Dec. 3
YRUU – Dec. 17
Ice Cream * Movie * Games * Friends welcome!
For more information, contact Sam Dickerson at email@example.com
or Ellis Rausch firstname.lastname@example.org
*RSVPs requested to ensure plenty of food for all.
Please RSVP by the Thursday prior to your chosen Hangout.
**Masks required while in attendance
Chalica begins December 6
Never heard of Chalica? Celebrated by many Unitarian Universalists, “Chalica begins on the first Monday in December and lasts seven days. Each day, a chalice is lit and the day is spent reflecting on the meaning of that day’s principle and doing a good deed that honors that principle.” (uua.org)
If you’d like to learn more about this holiday, check out this article from UU World. And if you’re looking for ideas on how to celebrate Chalica in your home, visit our Facebook Page December 6 through December 12 where we will share chalice readings and action ideas each day.
Please enjoy this song by Daniel Flores–Chalica (Infinite Light)
Bodhi Day is December 8
Bodhi Day observes the day Buddha, Siddhartha Gautama, experienced enlightenment while sitting under a Bodhi Tree. The day is celebrated quietly through prayer and meditation. Sometimes a Bodhi tree may be decorated with lights or statues of the Buddha are placed around the home.
To learn more, here is a short video on Bodhi Day, or you can listen to this children’s story Under the Bodhi Tree.
Our mission: Religious Education empowers children and youth and supports families with tools to create a world of justice and compassion.
- RE @ Chalice Blog January 7, 2021RE at Chalice! A place for wonder. A place for fun. Welcome, welcome everyone! Chalice Weekly Family Update January 7, 2021 January’s theme is… Imagination Sunday Morning Service at 10am Set Your Imagination Free with Rev. Nica Eaton-Guinn As we dive into our theme of imagination this month, we explore what can happen when we allow our imagination to guide our lives. Can ...
- RE @ Chalice Blog December 31, 2020RE at Chalice! A place for wonder. A place for fun. Welcome, welcome everyone! Chalice Weekly Family Update December 31, 2020 December’s theme has been… Stillness January’s theme will be… Imagination Sunday Morning Service at 10am This I Believe with special guest Ayanna Gaines and Friends This I Believe is based on a popular radio program from the 1950s. We take time to listen ...
- RE @ Chalice Blog Update December 17, 2020RE at Chalice! A place for wonder. A place for fun. Welcome, welcome everyone! Chalice Weekly Family Update December 17, 2020 December’s theme is… Stillness Sunday Morning Service at 10am Winter Solstice with special guest Christine Blasman Winter Solstice is a celebration of the longest night, a time where embracing our darkness is a springboard to personal growth and change. Come celebrate the ...
- Family Update for December 10 2020RE at Chalice! A place for wonder. A place for fun. Welcome, welcome everyone! Chalice Weekly Family Update December 10, 2020 December’s theme is Stillness Sunday Morning Service at 10am Stillness Speaks with Rev. Nica Eaton-Guinn As the darkness of this time of year closes in, and we remain sheltered in our homes, we visit the wisdom of stillness. Normally this time of ...