RE at Chalice Blog
- Family Activities 3/23/23
Religious Education at Chalice!
A place for wonder. A place for fun.
Welcome, welcome everyone!
Chalice Family Update
March 23, 2023
In March, we are on the path of Abundance!
Sunday morning at 10am
With Rev. Anne Hines
What does it take to touch — or be touched — by the Holy? How far do we need to travel to be overtaken with awe?
Zoom ID: 209 555 249 Passcode: 2020
Families welcome! The Joy Corner is available. Younger children will be sung out partway through the service and guided to Childspace.
Serenity – Time, Talent, Treasure
YRUU – Poor People Gonna Rise Up
You can always see what’s happening in the coming weeks by visiting the RE Events Calendar on our website.
YA Hangout – Friday, March 24 6-8pm
Let’s have breakfast for dinner!
We’ll cook up something tasty together and enjoy a fantastic meal with friends.
6-8pm in the Social Hall at Chalice
Young Adult RSVP here: bit.ly/ChaliceYA
Please RSVP by the Thursday prior to your chosen Hangout
Is there something you want to see or do at your Hangout? Let Sam know! email@example.com
Each week we will offer book suggestions for all ages, books that celebrate diverse identities, resist stereotypes, and uplift social justice. Whether you choose to purchase the books, borrow them from a friend, or check them out from your local library, we hope you enjoy these stories featuring characters from a wide range of communities.
*Credit given to RebekahGienapp.com for most suggestions
Zahra’s Blessing by Shirin Shamsi (ages 4-8)
She Persisted: Patsy Mink by Tae Keller (ages 7-10)
Wildseed Witch by Marti Dumas (ages 10+)
Money Out Loud: All the Financial Stuff No One Taught Us by Berna Anat (YA)
Crossing Paths – for Adults!
In March we will explore… Paganism!
When: Sundays, 1-2:30pm, 3/5 thru 3/26
Where: Social Hall
Please RSVP for March sessions here: https://bit.ly/ChaliceCP Space is limited.
Questions: Email Sam Dickerson firstname.lastname@example.org
We will not be offering Crossing Paths in April. We will return in May to Explore Buddhism.
Note new date and time!
Sunday, April 2 – after service
Bring your lunch and enjoy visiting with other families after the service. At noon, we will gather in the Social Hall with you donated items to build care kits for unhoused people.
Select items to donate from SignUp Genius here:
In an effort to make this a more inclusive activity, we will now hold Families Care on the first Sunday of each month as our RE programming.
Questions? Email Sam Dickerson email@example.com
PSW Area Assembly and Youth Con
Join us to share what’s going on in your congregation and to enjoy meaningful keynote topics with two Chumash elders, an assortment of workshops, worship, meals and more!
Oh yeah, and there’s a YOUTH CON!!!! Youth Con activities will be open to 8th through 12th grade teens. Attend keynote events and worship, share meals together, and enjoy events planned just for you. (Teens will stay overnight at UUSLO with Youth Con staff.)
Cost for PSW Assembly is $75. Registration opens 2/18. Register here.
Cost for Youth Con is $75 and on a sliding scale. Registration opens 2/25. Link to come…
Summer UU Youth and Family Camps
Registration will open mid-March — be sure to save the dates in your calendars!
General questions: contact Janet James, executive director at firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration questions: contact Laura Chamberlin, registrar at email@example.com
Youth Camp questions: contact Marianne Swift-Gifford, camping ministries director at firstname.lastname@example.org
Ramadan begins March 22
Ramadan is the ninth month in the Islamic calendar, and also said to be the holiest month of the year. This time is observed by honoring the Five Pillars of Islam–faith, prayer, almsgiving, fasting, and pilgrimage. You can learn more about the Five Pillars in this video.
Climate Justice Month – March 22 thru April 22
“From World Water Day to Earth Day (March 22 to April 22), Unitarian Universalists and other people of faith and conscience take action to build resistance to climate change and add our moral voices to the movement for climate justice…” Read more from the UUA site on Climate Justice Month here.
How does your family help the cause of environmental justice? Want to do more? Check out these tips for families:
Protecting Our Planet Starts with You
28 Ways Your Family can Protect the Earth
“Green” Parenting Tips
Our mission: Religious Education empowers children and youth and supports families with tools to create a world of justice and compassion.
- Summer Youth Programs begin Sunday June 19th!We have a delightful slate of R.E. Programs for youth to engage in: Magic Summer for Elementary youth, Doh! God for the middle school youth and The 5th Dimension for YRUU (high school) youth. Starting Sunday June 19th after service (11:30 am) in our RE Rooms upstairs in Fellowship Hall. Watch the video to learn more! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORy29JFK7_4
- RE @ Chalice Blog January 7, 2021RE at Chalice! A place for wonder. A place for fun. Welcome, welcome everyone! Chalice Weekly Family Update January 7, 2021 January’s theme is… Imagination Sunday Morning Service at 10am Set Your Imagination Free with Rev. Nica Eaton-Guinn As we dive into our theme of imagination this month, we explore what can happen when we allow our imagination to guide our lives. Can ...
- RE @ Chalice Blog December 31, 2020RE at Chalice! A place for wonder. A place for fun. Welcome, welcome everyone! Chalice Weekly Family Update December 31, 2020 December’s theme has been… Stillness January’s theme will be… Imagination Sunday Morning Service at 10am This I Believe with special guest Ayanna Gaines and Friends This I Believe is based on a popular radio program from the 1950s. We take time to listen ...
- RE @ Chalice Blog Update December 17, 2020RE at Chalice! A place for wonder. A place for fun. Welcome, welcome everyone! Chalice Weekly Family Update December 17, 2020 December’s theme is… Stillness Sunday Morning Service at 10am Winter Solstice with special guest Christine Blasman Winter Solstice is a celebration of the longest night, a time where embracing our darkness is a springboard to personal growth and change. Come celebrate the ...