Guest writer Gordon Clint
I am inspired that Chalice members are loving our planet in so many ways:
- Come to “Love Our Planet” – a family-friendly Community Forum with lunch at noon on Saturday, September 21. All ages are welcome to participate in fun, entertaining, interactive, and educational activities about caring for our planet. This collaborative effort is planned by Samantha, Randall, Candy, Carrie, Carolyn and others. Presenters include a Zero-Waste Educator as well as a Soil Educator to demonstrate composting. The City of T.O. will host an information table and has donated a composting igloo to be raffled off. People are encouraged to register in advance as lunch is included. Find out how gently used t-shirts donated ahead of time are amazingly transformed.
- 350 Conejo is holding weekly 1-hour rallies at 11:30 am Thursdays in front of Congresswoman Brownley’s office while Congress is on recess (until September 6). We urge her to co-sponsor the Green New Deal (H.R. 109), hold a town hall meeting on climate change, and to take the no-fossil fuel funding pledge. So far, Chalice has made a good showing with five of 21 people the first week, and nine of 30 people the second week. The mood is mellow, caring and seriously concerned about our climate crisis. Join us at 223 E. Thousand Oaks Blvd.
- The Citizens Climate Lobby Conejo Chapter, headed by Dick Elsley, meets at Chalice the second Saturday of every month. The focus is on getting Congress to pass the Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act (H.R. 763). Please come.
- Chalice members have also supported strong climate actions in the V.C. 2040 General Plan and will soon be able to provide input to our Thousand Oaks General Plan revision.
- Some of us will participate in the Global Climate Strike planned for September 20.
- If you want to hear about upcoming climate action events, please sign up for email notices at the Social Action table in the Fellowship Hall after the first service.
- Our Semi-Annual Social Action meeting with Rev. Nica is October 6 from 12:30 to 2pm. This is an opportunity to talk further about developments in Social Action at Chalice.
I hope to see you at any or all of these events!