The Chalice Family Update
- Family Activities 12/7/23
Religious Exploration at Chalice!
A place for wonder. A place for fun.
Welcome, welcome everyone!
Chalice Family Update
December 7, 2023
In the month of December, the Gift of Our Faith is Mystery
The Latke Who Wouldn’t Stop Screaming: A Christmas Story
– Holiday Pageant
Sunday morning at 10am
With Rev. Nica Eaton and Sam Dickerson
What happens when a latke is told to be who they’re not? A lot of fun shenanigans! Join us during our annual holiday pageant with the telling of The Latke Who Wouldn’t Stop Screaming: A Christmas Story. We’ll also acknowledge the many wonderful holidays of this winter season. As a special treat, latkes will be served in Fellowship Hall after the service.
Zoom ID: 209 555 249 Passcode: 2020
Livestream on FB: https://www.facebook.com/ChaliceUUF
Families welcome! The Joy Corner is open!
This is an all ages service!
There is no RE being held this Sunday. Instead, we are holding an all ages service, followed by Families Care. Latkes will also be served in Fellowship Hall.
You can always see what’s happening in the coming weeks by picking up an RE events calendar in the foyer of our Sanctuary.
Each week we will offer book suggestions for all ages, books that celebrate diverse identities, resist stereotypes, and uplift social justice. Whether you choose to purchase the books, borrow them from a friend, or check them out from your local library, we hope you enjoy these stories featuring characters from a wide range of communities.
*Credit given to RebekahGienapp.com for most suggestions
The Blur by Minh Lê (ages 3-7)
I Have the Right to Be a Child by Alain Serres (ages 5-9)
The Girl Who Stole an Elephant by Nizrana Farook (ages 8-12)
Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (YA)
Dear Chalice friends, we are planning to hold Families Care this Sunday, Dec. 10. However, we are in great need of donations! Please look through the list below and see if there is anything you are able to bring for our care kits. Keep in mind that travel size items are preferred, with the goal of building a minimum of 2 dozen kits. This time of year, our unhoused community members are in need of so much. Any little bit helps! Please bring any donations to the Families Care table in the courtyard Sunday morning before service. Thank you!
ONE WEEK LEFT!!
OWL Registration is now open through Dec. 15
Click on the link below to register your child(ren) or find a form on the Religious Exploration board in Fellowship Hall.
For more information, email the OWL team at OWL@chaliceuu.org.
Winter Camps at de Benneville Pines
12/1-12/3 Life Drawing Winter Art Camp for Adults
12/27-1/1 UU Senior High Winter Camp
2/16-2/19 Elementary Family Winter Retreat
For more information and to register: https://www.uucamp.org/camp-calendar/
Hanukkah begins Dec. 7!
This year, Hanukkah begins Dec. 7 and ends Dec. 14. In this celebration of freedom and miracles, the Jewish community honors this tradition with food, games, music, gifts, and the lighting of the menorah.
During the Festival of lights, we wish our Jewish family and friends a joyous holiday!
Bodhi Day is Dec. 8
On this day each year, our Buddhist friends and family honor the Buddha and his attaining enlightenment. For 49 days, Buddha sat beneath a Bodhi Tree and meditated. Today, many Buddhists will light candles, decorate Bodhi Trees with lights, and eat a modest breakfast of rice and milk.
To all who celebrate this day, may you be blessed with peace and joy!
Chalice’s social media presence is growing!
Have you taken a great photo or fun video at a Chalice event? Please share it with us!
There are two ways to share you images:
-email our Social Media Manager Julia Costanza firstname.lastname@example.org
-load the Telegram app on your phone. The app logo looks like a white paper airplane in a blue circle (see above). Once the app is on your phone come back to this email (on your phone) and click the following link to connect to our Chalice UU Social Media Sharing Group: https://t.me/+q2yQdcVCS_tiY2Mx
When sharing with Julia or by Telegram, be sure to give a short description of the image. It is recommended videos are vertical and under 30 seconds.
Our mission: Religious Exploration empowers children and youth and supports families with tools to create a world of justice and compassion.
- Summer Youth Programs begin Sunday June 19th!We have a delightful slate of R.E. Programs for youth to engage in: Magic Summer for Elementary youth, Doh! God for the middle school youth and The 5th Dimension for YRUU (high school) youth. Starting Sunday June 19th after service (11:30 am) in our RE Rooms upstairs in Fellowship Hall. Watch the video to learn more! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORy29JFK7_4
- RE @ Chalice Blog January 7, 2021RE at Chalice! A place for wonder. A place for fun. Welcome, welcome everyone! Chalice Weekly Family Update January 7, 2021 January’s theme is… Imagination Sunday Morning Service at 10am Set Your Imagination Free with Rev. Nica Eaton-Guinn As we dive into our theme of imagination this month, we explore what can happen when we allow our imagination to guide our lives. Can ...
- RE @ Chalice Blog December 31, 2020RE at Chalice! A place for wonder. A place for fun. Welcome, welcome everyone! Chalice Weekly Family Update December 31, 2020 December’s theme has been… Stillness January’s theme will be… Imagination Sunday Morning Service at 10am This I Believe with special guest Ayanna Gaines and Friends This I Believe is based on a popular radio program from the 1950s. We take time to listen ...
- RE @ Chalice Blog Update December 17, 2020RE at Chalice! A place for wonder. A place for fun. Welcome, welcome everyone! Chalice Weekly Family Update December 17, 2020 December’s theme is… Stillness Sunday Morning Service at 10am Winter Solstice with special guest Christine Blasman Winter Solstice is a celebration of the longest night, a time where embracing our darkness is a springboard to personal growth and change. Come celebrate the ...